NRIs settle abroad by leaving their belongings here in India. Their biggest belonging is their parents. They sigh; they cry; they often chat and even, talk via video calling. But all these efforts are not enough to fill the chasm of their bereavement.
Parents grow old. On reaching such age, they seek the support of young shoulders. They want to rely upon their own grown up children. But the urgency of earning livelihood takes them away. Staying abroad doesn’t deprive them of sensibility & responsibilities towards their parents. And many of them tend to get worried about their old father & mother. This is where they need a help. They search for the person who can take intensive care of their parents.
There are many organisations, like APRIO-Association of Parents of Indians Resident Overseas & BAYADA. Such organisations bear the major responsibilities to provide NRI parents care in India. Thereby, the children can heave a sigh of relief a bit. But they should know how to choose the best care for them.
Let’s start with the basic requirements that are a key to select the best caring partner.
- Health Care: Growing age invites many health issues. This is the biggest threat regarding the parents for the NRIs. Therefore, the selection procedure should be critical. Pick the one that is experienced in delivering:
- Routine health checkup
- Taking calls
- Nursing at home
- Help to disseminate information and many more embedded things.
- Financial Care: Money is a basic need to survive in the world. Therefore, they require it for making their living smoothly. Mostly, the pension is their source of earning at that age. But it may not be enough for them.
- Companionship: Isolation kills. At the age when the body gives up functioning properly, they need the partner to talk, to get amused and to gossip. Therefore, the selected organization should have proficiency in providing the best companion to the old people.
How can NRI provide the best parents care in India from abroad?
It’s fine if the non-residents are unable to attend their parents’ need personally. There are many deemed and authorized entities that take care of their parents at a definitive service cost. Since they have the capacity to afford such entities, they can hire them. But meanwhile, they should probe if the hired organization provides holistic parents care or not.
Here are some points that they can bear in their mind while picking up the best one.
- Attend if they provide monthly & quarterly health assessment.
- Check if they avail free visit of a physician without any emergency to the parents at home.
- Know do they provide routine/weekly health checkup by the nurse.
- Find do they arrange an in-house nurse for meeting emergency requirements.
- Determine if they have any provision for periodic amusements, like parties, and outings.
- Identify do they look into arranging conduits for transferring funds via NRO, NRE or FCNR bank accounts of the children.
- Know do they deal in dissemination of the information, like taking care of the national and international couriers, letters and emails.
- Seek information over do they set up the inbound and outbound communication, including chat through mobile phone & internet.
- Identify do they render health assessment report & the feedback of the aged parents to the NRI children.
- Check if they pay utility bills, like electricity bill, water bill & telephone bill on the parent’s behalf.
- Determine if they pay tax on the parent’s behalf.
- Find out if they indulge in conducting banking transactions.
- Determine if they can collect rental payment from the tenants.
- Know if they safeguard them by deploying a security guard.
- Check if they have any provision of the insurance of the old people.
- Look into if they go for travel arrangements.
How can you select in-house nurse in India?
- Hire the certified from the Nursing Association of India
- She should have working experience as well as on-the-job-training experience of at least 3 years
- In-house nursing experience would be a plus.
- She should be affiliated & recognized by any deemed hospital or social welfare agency.
- Access all previous working experience reports for verification via a reliable source.
- The physician of the family should interact with her to know about her abilities and potentials. He must communicate the responsibilities to be undertaken.
- Police verification must be undertaken before employing her.