What is PAN card?
PAN card stands for Permanent Account Number. It is similar to Social Security Number in the United States and Social Insurance Number in Canada. Assuming it as a medium of tax filing is a common myth. But it actually works as an identification number of its holder.
Indian diaspora abroad can show it as an identity card. Subsequently, shopping, traveling and claiming for tax return will be a walkover for it in India.
Who can apply for PAN card?
NRI community has privilege to apply for it online. But its online mailing is permitted in countable countries. Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs) and Overseas Citizens of India (OCIs) acquire foreign citizenship. But they, too, have a right like Indian natives to get this card.
Which Form suits to NRIs, PIOs and OCIs for online application?
Income Tax department of India provides separate application forms for issuing PAN Card to NRIs, PIOs and OCIs. NRIs are categorized as Indian citizens while the rest two categories are of foreigners. The applicant should take his/her category into account before applying. Then, they can pick up one suitable form as mentioned below:
*The first form is valid for NRIs and Indian citizens. Even though, this country’s natives settle abroad but they still hold citizenship of this country. This is why this is one of the best services for NRI that one can have online.
* The second form is drafted for foreigners. PIOs and OCIs acquire foreign citizenship. Thus, the second form belongs to them.
Which Documents should be provided along with PAN card application?
- Address proof of overseas residence
- Photocopy of passport
- Processing fee (Application Fee 93 + Dispatch Charges 00 + 15% service tax)
* Credit Card/ Debit Card, Demand Draft and net banking are acceptable mode of fee payment. 2% additional surcharges are levied over online transactions.
How to apply for it online?
- Open the site: https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/form49AA.html
- Scroll down and select individual option from the drop down button below Apply for a new PAN Card.
- The application form will pop up.
- Read the instructions carefully and then, fill the fields. The emigrants should provide overseas address that they have mentioned in their bank statement.
- They must not fill Indian address.
- When the form is filled, an acknowledgement will flash at the time of its submission.
- Take its two prints out.
- Paste applicant’s photograph and sign it with black pen.
- Applicant should self-attest all the documents.
- Scan and send to the NSDL, PAN unit in Mumbai.
- Like e-commerce website, the applicant can track delivery status using his/her acknowledgement number,
- If applicant wants to parcel it, he/she can send on Income Tax Pan Service Unit , National Securities Depository Limited, 3rd Floor, Sapphire Chambers, Near Baner Telephone Exchange, Baner, Pune-411045.
- Its processing will take 15 days at least to complete.