I had a fantasy to settle in the US. But I did not premeditate that my dream could prove a nightmare. Being a scholar in IT, I made my way to the top IT firm there. The luxurious lifestyle did not hint me of the upcoming problem. At 26 of my age, I decided to settle down with an American girl. It was love at first sight. But no sooner my big day was fixed troubles began to collapse my castle of dreams. It was certificate of no marriage that took away my rest.
After digging deep, I encountered with the beneath facts. I have put them in question-answer format. Hope, this acknowledgement can let the dream of NRIs come true about hassle free marriage!
What is Certificate of No Marriage?
It’s a legal document that proves one’s legal capacity of marriage (CENOMAR). You can’t tie a knot in certain countries, like Manila, Philippines, US, UK, Indonesia, Malaysia and so on, without this certificate. It’s an authentic proof of your single status. This is why, it is popularly known as single status certificate.
Earlier, I thought it was meant for the bachelors only. But later, its entire story was unfolded to me. Single status does not imply bachelorhood. Rather, it identifies that the applicant’s marital status is single. However, he/she can be married earlier. But later on, divorce can stamp such ones ‘single’ legally. In such circumstances, the applicant should have to show divorce papers.
Why CENOMAR is a mandatory document for wedding in certain countries?
Be it Certificate of No Impediment, Single Statement, No Marital Status Certificate and Negative Statement of Marriage, these are all synonymous.
This legal paper is recognized under Hague Conventions of 1961. This convention was setup for easing the process of completing documentation work of the aspiring migrants. Certain countries are abided by this international pact. India is one of those that favours Apostilled documentation.
Let’s discuss why the foregone certificate is mandatory.
- As it’s a government document, it reveals the factual marital status of an individual.
- It is an outcome of government search which declares that zero marriage record of the applicant.
- In countries, like the US, it needs renewal. This norm of its renewal can be varied from country to country.
How to get Certificate of No Marriage India?
- In order to get CENOMAR, download an affidavit as well as an application form of single status from the website of Indian embassy.
- Fill them both providing name of the applicant, name of his/her father, maiden’s name, DOB, place of birth, address and mailing address etc..
- Attest the following documents: photocopy of 1st and last page of the passport, photocopy of valid visa, notarized affidavit of the parents, dully attested death certificate of the parents (if any) and photographs.
Once it is filled, it is sent for attestation to the delegated signatory of Ministry of External Affairs (MEA). The whole procedure can consume fortnight or a month.