What is unmarried certificate?
Unmarried certificate has its meaning hidden in its name. It is an authentic legal evidence of an individual’s unmarried status. Be it an offer letter or registration for passport, one must mention one’s marital status.
Ticking on ‘single’ status declares that the person is single. Therefore, this certificate is also known as single status certificate/ bachelorhood certificate/CENOMAR (certificate of no marriage).
Why it is needed?
Generally, many countries ask an NRI (or a foreigner) to showcase unmarried certificate. So, a person requires it if he/she intends to solemnize marriage with a foreigner.
For example, a doctor shifted to UK for practicing in medicine field. The emigrant intended to marry with the native of that country. But the government of the UK rejected his request until he presented unmarried certificate.
So, this legal paper authenticates the actual status of the emigrant. This document receives Apostille stamp. The government bodies, like court, MEA and state level departments in India, issues it after thorough investigation. So, foreign government requires it as a proof of the person’s citizenship as well.
What are the documents needed for it?
- Photocopy of the passport (first and last page)
- Birth certificate
- 10th certificate
- Address proof
- Applicant’s parents’ proof
- An affidavit stating that the applicant is not yet married. (date is also mentioned)
What’s the procedure to get it?
- The applicant should visit to Suvidha Kendra or DC office (if the applicant lives in India)
Or, an NRI can visit to the Indian High Commissioner with the foregone documents (if he/she lives abroad).
- Then, all the documents should be duly notarized.
- Take a stamp paper for affidavit and write the statement. Then, notarize it too.
- Submit all the documents to the visited authority with the requisite fee.
- After 15 days, a police inquiry will be conducted.
- Be ready with at least 2 witnesses. They can be the neighbours.
- After police verification, the papers will be sent to the MEA for final attestation.
- Thereafter, the unmarried certificate is sent to the applicant.
The certificate can be outsourced also. The applicant should indulge in thorough research to pick up a reliable one.